You are here:

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Committee Room 3 - Waltham Forest Town Hall. View directions

Contact: Perminder Purewal, Democratic Services Officer  020 8496 4537 | Email: Perminder.Purewal@walthamforest.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

34.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND SUBSTITUTE MEMBERS

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Jacob Edwards and Councillor Saima Mahmud was present as his substitute.

35.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Members are required to declare any pecuniary or non-pecuniary interests they or their spouse/partner may have in any matter which is to be considered at this meeting. Interests are defined on the inside cover of this agenda.

Minutes:

Cllr Karen Bellamy declared a non-pecuniary interest for all items as she is the CEO of LVE, Charitable Foundation - a charity in Borough that deals with young people and gang violence. Notwithstanding her interest in the Agenda Items, Councillor Karen Bellamy was able to remain in the room and participate in the debates.

36.

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 316 KB

Minutes:

The minutes of the previous meeting held on 4 March 2019 were approved by the Committee as a correct record and signed by the Chair.

37.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

Members of the public are welcome to participate in scrutiny meetings.  You may speak for three minutes on a topic related to the Committee’s work, and fifteen minutes in total is allowed for public speaking, at the discretion of the Chair.  If you would like to speak, please contact Democratic  ...  view the full agenda text for item 37.

Minutes:

None.

38.

COMMITTEE ACTION TRACKER, UPDATE AND FORWARD PLAN pdf icon PDF 127 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Consideration was given to the report from the Scrutiny Officer.

 

Daniela Cabral, Scrutiny Assistant introduced her report and the Committee noted that that all actions had received responses.

Alastair Macorkindale gave a verbal on the Prevent Advisory Group (PAG) which had met earlier that day.  He stated that the membership would change as it became more established.  The membership included ten individual residents and Town Community; Street Pastors; Chingford Synagogue; WF Somali Youth Association; Sokeena Trust; WF Division of National Cricket League; and the ACE Cricket Club.  The Committee noted that the membership was still evolving, and participation would become more broader and diverse and therefore representative of the Borough.

 

In response to questions from the Committee, Mr Macorkindale confirmed that there was no representation from Waltham Forest Council of Mosques as the organisation is not participating in Prevent programmes at moment due to their boycott of Prevent national strategy rather than the way it was being delivered by the Council. He reassured the Committee that the Leader of the Council and Cllr Ahsan Khan, Portfolio Lead Member for Community Safety and Voluntary Sector, was working with the Council of Mosques.  Mr Macorkindale added that they had good relationships with mosques in the borough and there was representation on PAG by Muslims in an individual capacity rather that organisational.

 

The Committee asked the MPS representative about their three missing responses on the action tracker and were told that responses would be sent to them.

 

Actions

·         Police to circulate a written update containing the information on outstanding actions provided at the meeting;

·         Officers to bring an update on Prevent Advisory Group in 2019/20;

·         Scrutiny team to work with the Met Police to ensure active participation

Decision

·         The Committee noted the report.

39.

VIOLENCE REDUCTION PARTNERSHIP: UPDATE pdf icon PDF 141 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Consideration was given to the report from Alastair Macorkindale, Group Manager (Strategy), Community Safety.

 

Mr Macorkindale summarised the progress of forming a local Violence Reduction Partnership (VRP), through the public health approach to violence reduction by developing closer and stronger relationships with key stakeholders and the wider community.

 

The initial commitments were presented at a plenary event on April 25th at the Sir George Monoux College.  The Committee were reminded that first summit took place on the 27th November and brought together leaders from local schools, the CCG, Metropolitan Police, Housing Associations, the voluntary sector and the Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime. Following the summit, four working groups were formed

·         first strand is to curtail violent acts at source, pursuing perpetrators and enforcing action;

·         The second strand is to treat those who have been exposed to violence to control the spread;

·         The third strand is to support those susceptible to violence due to their exposure to risk factors;

·         The fourth strand is to strengthen community resilience through a universal

The Committee noted that lessons were being in learnt from the Glasgow model and their public health approach took around 10 years to see a culture shift and a reduction in violence. The Committee asked to see a timeline / yearly progress reports from Glasgow to gain an understanding of the steps they had taken to reduce violence.

 

The Committee were given the opportunity to ask questions and noted the following:

 

Cllr Ahsan Khan, Portfolio Lead, invited all Councillors, Headteachers and the Safer Neighbourhoods Board to the event in November and 115 people attended.  

 

Mr Macorkindale would share the draft next steps, pledges, metrics and actions from the plenary event with the Committee and advised that Cllr Khan had indicated that he was keen that all recommendations come to the Communities Scrutiny Committee for pre-cabinet scrutiny.

 

There was a commitment from the Council for core specialist funding and three Council strategies (Connecting Communities, Life Chances and Borough of Culture Legacy) would all come together to look at ways to reduce violence. 

 

The Glasgow model was based on the Boston model of the 1980’s but was different due to the transformation of the school system and was not focussed on enforcement.

 

The public facing campaign for VRP would start mid-June and run for around four weeks with variety of events.  The events would focus on bringing the community together and communicate what is available and letting residents know how they could get involved, such as becoming ambassadors.  

 

Actions:

-          Officers to circulate VRP next steps and metrics to the Committee in advance of the July Cabinet meeting;

-          Officers to bring update reports to the Communities Scrutiny Committee on VRP pledges and actions ahead of implementation in 2019/20;

-          Officers to provide information on yearly progress in the Glasgow approach.

 

Decision:

The Committee noted the report.

40.

TACKLING DOMESTIC ABUSE IN WALTHAM FOREST pdf icon PDF 494 KB

Minutes:

Consideration was given to the report Laura Butterworth, Violence Against Women and Girls (VAWG) Team Manager.

 

Laura Butterworth, supported by Seb Florent, Detective Chief Inspector, Metropolitan Police presented the report.

 

The Committee noted that domestic abuse is one strand of the Violence Against Women and Girls (VAWG) strategy which also covers Rape, FGM and gender based violence. 

Domestic abuse is a significant problem in the borough and these crimes are still under reported.  There had been an increase of incidences reported to the police but not as many offences and a high number of offences had been cautioned instead of being charged.  The Police had been working with the Partnership Board to see a reduction of cautions. 

 

The Committee were given information on the Safe and Together Model which was an evidence based programme designed to improve the way that children’s safeguarding systems respond to children affected by domestic abuse. Waltham Forest will be the first Borough in London to implement the model.  The Model focuses on training workforces that work with children to be more alert to the impact on children and build alliances with non-abusing parent.  The aims are to see a reduction of children having to go into care of result of domestic abuse reduction of repeat referrals. 

Laura Butterworth also drew the Committee’s attention to the highlights of the year and the service activity.  The Committee were given details about the “Ask Me” project and the work of the ambassadors as detailed in the report.  The Committee also noted the next steps of the service.

The Chair commented about her experience of working with Asian women and felt that sometimes they will not speak to people in own community and therefore they should able to go to other GPs to report and domestic abuse and was concerned that some women may not be coming forward.

Alastair Macorkindale advised that One Stop Shops in Children Family Centres are open to women and offer confidential holistic support.  

 

Laura Butterworth also drew the Committee’s attention to the work on gangs and the affects on women and girls. The Committee noted that there for the past decade there had been a specialist service that dealt with women and girls however this had now progressed so that all services are able to meet the needs of women and girls to be gender responsive and recognise who are at risk of sexual exploitation.  An organision called Abianda had been commissioned to work with all programmes to raise gender awareness and they would be working with training providers to ensure the interventions are meeting the needs of all girls.

 

Following questions from members of the Committee noted

 

  • the details of “Ask Angela” programme which involved women who felt at risk in a public setting to ask for “Angela” at  a bar and staff would take them to a safe place without alerting everyone to a difficult situation. It was hoped the “Ask Angela” programme would be rolled out to  ...  view the full minutes text for item 40.

41.

PUBLIC HEALTH APPROACH TO REDUCING VIOLENT CRIME pdf icon PDF 118 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Consideration was given to the report from the Scrutiny Officer.


Daniela Cabral, Scrutiny Assistant introduced the report. 
She asked the Committee to note the draft themed review report and note the summary of the recommendations produced throughout the year.

 

Action:

-          Police figures on number of girls and young women victims of exploitation to be included in 18/19 Themed Review report.

 

Decision:

Subject to the inclusion of the action above, the Committee agreed the report and noted it would be referred to Cabinet in July 2019 for formal consideration and response.