You are here:

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Committee Room 3 - Waltham Forest Town Hall

Contact: Holly Brogden-Knight, Democratic Services Officer  020 8496 4211 | Email: Holly.Brogden-Knight@walthamforest.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

8.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND SUBSTITUTE MEMBERS

9.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Members are required to declare any pecuniary or non-pecuniary interests they or their spouse/partner may have in any matter which is to be considered at this meeting. Interests are defined on the inside cover of this agenda.

Minutes:

None declared.

10.

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 78 KB

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 14 March 2018 were amended on page 11 at the start of the second to last paragraph: The word “for” was changed to “from”, so it now reads “In response to a question from the Chair”. The amended minutes were approved as a correct record and signed by the Chair.

Jane Bruesekeasked if YIAG (Youth Independent Advisory Group) members can in future be listed as attending, and the Chair agreed this.

11.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

Minutes:

Four members of YIAG participated, as listed above under those present.

12.

COMMUNITY SAFETY ISSUES (HOUSING) pdf icon PDF 460 KB

Minutes:

Khemba Ankhrah, Housing Officer, introduced his report. Reporting of ASB (Anti-Social Behaviour) has increased slightly, although the Council’s partnership approach has been working to reduce ASB. Members discussed “cuckooing”; a process where gangs or criminals befriend and exploit vulnerable tenants in order to take over their property for criminal activities. The Council lets approximately 400 properties per year, some of these to vulnerable people. Khemba Ankhrah stated that the Council has worked with police to prevent people preying on the vulnerable, for example by using civil injunctions. These can stop named people from entering defined areas.

Housing and Community Safety agreed to provide a briefing note on the warning signs for “cuckooing” to assist new councillors.

Referencing page 17 of the report, Raja Khan, Housing Officer, explained that the Council had become better at resolving noise complaints.

Khemba Ankhrah stated that gangs based on post–codes (small geographical areas, such as St James Street) used to be in conflict, but now often have “truces” and are co-operating with each other.

The Committee noted the report.

13.

COMMUNITY SAFETY - PERFORMANCE IN QUARTER THREE 2017/2018 pdf icon PDF 62 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Ed Maguire, Head of Business Intelligence, introduced the report. Although total recorded crime reduced in the final quarter, the general trend was slightly up by quarterly and rolling year. Knife crime was a significant concern. For domestic violence, under-reporting means that paradoxically most people wished to see an increase. Alastair Macorkindale, Head of Community Safety, indicated that a proportion of students starting school were not school-ready. This was being tackled by attempting to recognise long-term needs earlier. The Council had good programmes providing support with Education, Employment and Training.

Officers explained that they would be developing proposals on how the Council can support the police with increasing awareness of, and confidence in, the 101 telephone number for residents.

Officers agreed to share the outcomes of the youth engagement events and survey with the Committee.

Members asked how the Council’s Borough of Culture status could be used to engage young people, for example by funding room hire, clubs and sports.  The Council will consider how funding for its Borough of Culture can help support youth engagement and community safety.

Councillor Highfield was impressed with the YIAG members present, wanted to know more about their work, and thanked them for attending. Moses Musana described workshops they did in schools and on bullying, and explained that young people working with young people is very effective (peer to peer working).

The Committee noted the report.

 

14.

THEMED REVIEW 2017/18 - REDUCING VIOLENT CRIME pdf icon PDF 47 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Andrew Spragg, Scrutiny Officer, introduced his report (page 29). The Committee decided on this topic in September 2017. Alastair Macorkindale, Head of Community Safety, had produced a previous report on a “public health” approach.

The Committee will continue its themed review on reducing violent crime into the year 2018/19.

The Committee noted the report.

 

15.

ACTION TRACKER pdf icon PDF 42 KB

Minutes:

Noted.