You are here:

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Council Chamber - Waltham Forest Town Hall. View directions

Contact: Anthony Jackson, Democratic Services Officer  Email: anthony.jackson@walthamforest.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

WELCOME AND INTRODUCTIONS

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed all attendees to the meeting and then asked for introductions.

2.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Minutes:

This item was added on to the agenda (as well as new items 5 and 6), so the remaining items were re-numbered.  None received.

3.

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 74 KB

To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 11 April 2018.

Minutes:

The minutes of the previous meeting on 11 April 2018 were amended to correct the attendance.  Jane Brueseke was a Council Officer in Attendance.  The column headed “Officers in Attendance” should read “In Attendance”. Kamahl Sami” was amended to his full name “Kamhal Sami-Miller”.  The YIAG report that was tabled was left out of the minutes, but is on the web site.  Thus amended, the minutes of 11 April 2018 were approved as a correct record and signed by the Chair.

4.

YIAG REPORT

Minutes:

Representatives from the YIAG (Youth Independent Advisory Group) provided an update on the work undertaken since the last Stop and Search Group meeting.  The update is below.

 

The Chair asked about ‘The Man Den’ project referred to towards the end of the report, and she stated that there was also a ‘Man Dem’ gang.  Jane Brueseke explained that this is deliberate; a Leytonstone mother has self-funded the ‘Man Den’ group.

 

Stop & Search 25/07/18 – YIAG updates

 

YIAG attending: Kamahl, Jamil & Jhanzab

YIAG (Youth Independent Advisory Group) Intro

The YIAG is a unique and powerful partnership between young people, aged 15-25 that live in the borough; the council, the police and the borough’s Safer Neighbourhood Board funded by the Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime (MOPAC) and the council, involving young people interested in crime and community safety issues.

 

Some YIAG come from backgrounds as offenders, victims of crime or live in areas where youth violence is a part of their lives.

 

YIAG members deliver peer-training sessions to young people in the Youth Offending Team, Pupil Referral Units, schools and colleges in Waltham Forest on topics that affect young people like bullying, gangs, substance misuse, healthy relationships and Stop & Search. The YIAG also advise the police and council as young consultants, attending police response patrols and inputting into strategic meetings including the Safer Neighbourhood Board, Community scrutiny, and other meetings as well as inputting into the Gang Prevention Programme & knife crime strategy.

 

A YIAG member, Wendy, is the vice chair of the Stop & Search monitoring board.

 

Work update

Stop & Search project – a project tasked by this board where YIAG members surveyed their peers on their experiences of Stop & Search in the borough and came up with recommendations which are on-going: Update on actions: positive interactions with police & feeding in to senior management: the YIAG continue to work closely with and support PC Jason Hill, MPS Youth Engagement officer. 21 young people from the YIAG (& Young Advisors) have attended patrols with the response teams where they go out in a patrol car on a Friday evening and complete a feedback form afterwards for senior management.

Peer to peer work The YIAG are trained to deliver peer workshops and design sessions on a variety of topics affecting young people that come under the Community Safety remit.

 

Peer to peer – the YIAG have been commissioned to deliver peer workshops next week on Stop & Search, across the 4 youth hubs in Newham and have attended an initial meeting to start a Newham YIAG, giving advice and support.

 

Youth Mental Health Ambassadors (YMHA)

 Some YIAG are also accredited Youth Mental Health Ambassadors working on a 1 year funded project with Public Health & the CCG (Clinical Commissioning Group), feeding into the CAMHS (Child & Adolescent Mental Health Services) transformation. Part of this project is delivering peer consultation workshops to secondary school pupils on mental health services in their schools, what they know of or have used and what an ideal service would be.  ...  view the full minutes text for item 4.

5.

POLICE BODY-WORN CAMERAS (BWC)

Minutes:

This and the next agenda item (Gangs) were added in as two new agenda items, so that the published item 4 (Police Presentation and Data) was re-numbered as No 8.

 

Some members had attended a viewing of BWC footage.  Aimee Farquhar said that in the ones she watched, the worst offence found was possession of cannabis.  The Chair said it was often not clear why people were stopped (the grounds).  She said that there were inappropriate police comments in the recordings such as “people coming out of the woodwork” and “see you next time”.  These should be replaced by comments aimed at building rapport.  The final case seen was excellent; if all stops were like that, there would be no problems.

 

Waheed Khan thanked those who viewed the footage, and confirmed that police needed reasons for stops.  He asked Alison Smith how many complaints to police were received recently.  Aimee Farquhar said there will be no complaints, as so few were up-held, and no one had faith in the police complaints system.  A discussion about the value of complaints continued without agreement, and the Chair said trust needed to be built for them to work.  Waheed Khan said that S.60 (Section 60) stops did not need separate grounds for the stop, but police should normally explain the reasons.  All people being searched were entitled to a record of the stop.

 

YIAG members said they had not been invited to the viewings, and asked when this would be possible.  They also asked how feedback on BWC viewings will be used.  Waheed Khan mentioned that there were regulations about viewings and that more viewings were possible.

 

Jane Brueseke offered to send YIAG names to the Chair for forwarding to Alison Smith for viewings.  The Chair asked for monthly viewings.  The footage was only kept for 30 days, so complaints must be received in that time. 

 

YIAG said there was a history of distrust of the police.  The roots of this needed addressing, in addition to the BWC approach.  Waheed Khan said the service had improved in recent decades.  Police tried to reflect the communities they served - he was from East London, and had been stopped himself.

6.

GANGS

Minutes:

Olly Clark spoke about the police’s work tackling gangs.  There was some London-wide co-ordination and sharing of officers.  For example, plain clothes officers were working in Waltham Forest for a month.  There was a “Bronze” local authority process to refer people at risk from gangs.  There was a monthly Bronze meeting, which considered up to 80 cases. There were also daily risk management meetings.

 

Sandra Miller said there was discussion about how to measure the impact of these processes, and there were still tragedies.  The data showed many cases resulted in No Further Action.  Olly Clark said last year there were 60 stabbings; this year there were already 90. 

 

Jane Brueseke stated that PC Richard Graham did an informative gangs presentation.  The Chair said this could be taken at a future meeting instead of the normal police presentation.  YIAG member Jhanzab Khan said the police needed to focus more on mental health and on non-custodial solutions. 

 

The Chair said that from 4 May there had been 12 S.60s which was high.  Waheed Khan said there were three more, on 15 June, 2 and 9 July.  S.60s were only invoked if there had been an incident.  From 62 stops, 4 arrests were made.

 

Aimee Farquhar said that the Group had asked for all S.60s to be reported to the Group, and they had doubled. 

 

Waheed Khan confirmed that S.60 statistics will be brought to the Group in future.  The Chair asked him to explain any lessons that can be learnt from how the London Borough of Newham operates S.60s.

 

Philip Dundon referred to worsening violent crime statistics, with two fatalities, and Waltham Forest involvement in a serious corrosive substance incident.  Dr Nelson Ochei agreed, and wanted data that could be compared with other Boroughs.  Waheed Khan said 17% of London’s S.60s were in Waltham Forest which was high.  The Chair confirmed that across London S.60s, and stabbings, had risen a lot.

 

7.

MEMBERSHIP OF THE STOP AND SEARCH GROUP

Minutes:

This item was deferred to the next meeting.

8.

POLICE AND PRESENTATION DATA

Minutes:

Alison Smith said there were 2138 stops from 1 Apr - 30 June 2018, with 402 positive outcomes.  928 were stop codes for drugs, and 9 for firearms.  Sandra Miller said the pictures of weapons in reports were not helpful.  She would like comparisons with the London Borough of Newham with whom the police were going to merge.

 

The Chair stated that the Waltham Forest and Newham Stop and Search Groups will not merge, but members could attend each other’s meetings.  Waheed Khan commented that at the Newham Stop and Search Group communication was easier because, unlike the Waltham Forest Chamber, members sit round a table.

 

The Chair asked if the stop codes referred to actual items found.  Alison Smith explained that they referred to the reason code or legislation used for the stop, and that the key data needed was the outcomes.  Jane Brueseke remarked that the Action Log says what data is wanted.

 

Aimee Farquhar requested that police presentations should not include information that was already on-line; they should be in addition to what was already published.  She also wanted data on tazering related to stops.  Alison Smith agreed to provide this.

9.

ACTION LOG pdf icon PDF 50 KB

Minutes:

Sandra Miller asked for the data to be broken down by age, ethnicity, gender and other relevant characteristics, as requested in the 6th row of the Action Tracker.

 

The 5th row (recovered items) is outstanding. 

 

For the 8th row (BWC), Alison Smith said it was not technically possible to show footage to the Group.

10.

DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING

To note that the next meeting of the Stop and Search Group will take place on Wednesday, 10 October 2018.

Minutes:

The Group noted that the next Stop and Search Group meeting would take place on 10 Oct 2018 at 7pm.